WASHINGTON (AP) — King of Israel? The second coming? The chosen one?
President Donald Trump is known to have a healthy ego. But a string of comments Wednesday went to a higher level.
First, Trump thanked conservative radio host and supporter Wayne Allyn Root for his praise. In a tweet, Trump quoted Root calling the president “the best president for Israel in the history of the world” and claiming Jewish people in Israel love Trump “like he’s the King of Israel. They love him like he’s the second coming of God.”
The messianic imagery may have stuck in Trump’s head. Later in the day, as the president was defending his trade war with China, he cast himself as a reluctant warrior. Somebody had to do it and he was the one, he told reporters.
“I am the chosen one,” he said, turning and looking up to the sky. “Somebody had to do it.”
- 21-year-old killed, 5 others wounded in NC party shooting
- NC deputies search for pair wanted in murder, officials say
- ‘It went beautiful,’ Hundreds at Durham protest remain peaceful Saturday
- VIDEO: Looters hit store at Fayetteville’s Cross Creek Mall
- Looters strike downtown Raleigh CVS, later set fire outside
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now