CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WNCN) – Two workers were pulled from a collapsed trench Tuesday morning at a construction site on the campus of UNC-Chapel Hill, officials said.
UNC said a fortifying beam fell on them at a repair site at Medical Drive and South Columbia Street.
The workers were working on repairing a utility steam vault when the beam fell.
Both men were conscious when they were pulled from the trench, UNC said.
Columbia Street was down to one lane in front of Mitchell Hall as emergency responders rescued the workers.
Columbia Street has since fulled reopened.
Mitchell Hall sits just south of Columbia Street’s intersection with South Road in the area of Kenan Memorial Stadium on campus.
Chapel Hill Fire announced the collapse at 10:30 a.m.
CBS 17 has a crew on the way to the scene and will update this story as it develops.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Trump pardons Flynn, taking direct aim at Russia probe
- Road closed in Clayton as crews battle house fire
- Police: Man punched woman in eye, choked child following argument at North Myrtle Beach apartment
- Man shot in the arm during drive-by in Durham, police say
- Man faces murder charge after deadly shooting at party in Lexington