CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WNCN) – Two workers were pulled from a collapsed trench Tuesday morning at a construction site on the campus of UNC-Chapel Hill, officials said.
UNC said a fortifying beam fell on them at a repair site at Medical Drive and South Columbia Street.
The workers were working on repairing a utility steam vault when the beam fell.
Both men were conscious when they were pulled from the trench, UNC said.
Columbia Street was down to one lane in front of Mitchell Hall as emergency responders rescued the workers.
Columbia Street has since fulled reopened.
Mitchell Hall sits just south of Columbia Street’s intersection with South Road in the area of Kenan Memorial Stadium on campus.
Chapel Hill Fire announced the collapse at 10:30 a.m.
CBS 17 has a crew on the way to the scene and will update this story as it develops.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- WATCH LIVE: Snow falling in Asheville
- What does ‘state of emergency’ mean for North Carolinians?
- ‘Now is the time to get ready,’ Gov. Cooper says ahead of Thursday’s snowstorm
- Myrtle Beach Voucher program encourages downtown redevelopment
- Tennessee authorities issues AMBER Alert for 15-month-old out of Sullivan County