CLOVER, S.C. (CNN) – A 61-year-old man was injured Sunday in Clover, South Carolina when a car hit him as he was escaping a house fire. Investigators say Phil Pitts was warming up his motorcycle in the garage Sunday morning when it caught fire. The fire spread to his home. Pitts ran from the flames but a car hit him.
The car did not stop and fled the scene. Police later found the car nearby. It was still running but the driver was gone.
Pitts’ current condition is unknown but his sister said he opened his eyes for the first time Monday. Firefighters say the house is a total loss.
- Crash closes eastbound lanes of I-40 north of Charlotte
- Woman shot at Thanksgiving family gathering in Raleigh; fines possible for COVID-19 violations, police say
- Family of woman hit by car after deadly shooting in Durham says he’s always worried for their safety
- Justin Timberlake donates new wheelchair accessible van for Tennessee teen
- Second stimulus check: President-elect Biden’s thoughts on $1,200 payments
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now