CLOVER, S.C. (CNN) – A 61-year-old man was injured Sunday in Clover, South Carolina when a car hit him as he was escaping a house fire. Investigators say Phil Pitts was warming up his motorcycle in the garage Sunday morning when it caught fire. The fire spread to his home. Pitts ran from the flames but a car hit him.
The car did not stop and fled the scene. Police later found the car nearby. It was still running but the driver was gone.
Pitts’ current condition is unknown but his sister said he opened his eyes for the first time Monday. Firefighters say the house is a total loss.
- ‘Giant rat’ found in drain under Mexico City
- Make-A-Wish surprises 4-year-old Florida cancer survivor with puppy
- On the campaign trail today: Biden in Wisconsin, Trump in Ohio
- Proposed Florida legislation would defund cities that defund police, issue felonies for rioters
- Man accused of trying to kidnap 2-year-old from car backing out of California parking spot
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now