CLOVER, S.C. (CNN) – A 61-year-old man was injured Sunday in Clover, South Carolina when a car hit him as he was escaping a house fire. Investigators say Phil Pitts was warming up his motorcycle in the garage Sunday morning when it caught fire. The fire spread to his home. Pitts ran from the flames but a car hit him.
The car did not stop and fled the scene. Police later found the car nearby. It was still running but the driver was gone.
Pitts’ current condition is unknown but his sister said he opened his eyes for the first time Monday. Firefighters say the house is a total loss.
- North Carolina judge died of fentanyl and heroin intoxication, autopsy reveals
- White House reaches ceasefire agreement with Turkey while lawmakers on Capitol Hill weigh sanctions bill
- Fayetteville teen at center of Amber Alert found safe
- Mark Zuckerberg says Facebook might have prevented Iraq invasion in 2003
- Advocates fear mass suicide at ICE facility in Southern NM
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now