SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP/WNCN) — Authorities say a Sacramento police officer has been shot in a possible ambush and a gunman continues to hold off those trying to reach her.
KTXL-TV says a lieutenant is reporting that the officer was responding to a report of shots fired in the North Sacramento neighborhood Wednesday evening when she was hit and is pinned down in the yard of a home.
The Sacramento Bee indicates the officer is in a backyard. A rescue was successfully executed and was transported to the hospital in serious condition, a police spokesperson said.
The scene is still active and dangerous, as of 11:55 p.m. EST Wednesday, the spokesperson said.
Because of the gunman, police are warning residents to stay out of the area near the intersection of Redwood Avenue and Edgewater Road.
Latest news from CBS17.com:
- Protesters call on Sen. Lindsey Graham to stop confirmation of SCOTUS nominee
- Franklin County family being evicted despite pandemic speaks out
- COVID-19 antibody treatment tests underway in Raleigh, Fayetteville
- Woman shot in leg in Durham, police say
- Hamlin, Michael Jordan partner on NASCAR team for Wallace
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now