COLUMBUS COUNTY, N.C. (WECT) – A Conway, South Carolina man is accused of running through a checkpoint and hitting a deputy’s vehicle during the ensuing chase early Thursday morning.
Donald Alan Bonini, 50, has been charged with:
- Driving while impaired
- Reckless driving
- Assault with a deadly weapon on a government official
- Fleeing/eluding arrest with a motor vehicle
According to Michele Tatum with the Columbus County Sheriff’s Office, a checking station had been set up on Hwy. 701 about a half-mile south of Sellerstown Road.
Bonini slowed down as he approached the checkpoint but then suddenly accelerated, nearly hitting the deputy standing in the roadway.
The deputy then got into his vehicle and a chase ensued, reaching more than 90 mph.
Tatum said that roof tacks were discarded onto the highway from the suspect’s vehicle during the deputy’s pursuit.
When the deputy attempted to get the vehicle to stop, Bonini is accused of hitting the deputy’s car while trying to run him off the road.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Monday marks first official day of Fall!
- Wake Forest police ask for help identifying 2 connected to grocery store larcenies
- Soldier from Fayetteville dies in SC during training
- WWII veteran wants 100 birthday cards for his 100th birthday
- High school football player in ICU after collapsing during game
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now