STUTTGART, Germany (AP) — Simone Biles won a record 21st medal at the world gymnastics championships on Tuesday as the United States retained its women’s team all-around title.
Biles’ 15th career gold medal brings her a total of 21 medals, breaking a tie with the Russian gymnast Svetlana Khorkina for the most medals by a woman at the world championships. She’s now two short of Vitaly Scherbo’s all-time record among men or women of 23.
The U.S. team scored 172.330 points to beat second-placed Russia by 5.801 points and win its seventh consecutive team title at an Olympics or world championships.
Biles posted the best individual scores on the vault, balance beam and floor.
Italy took bronze, as China failed to win a women’s team medal for the first time since the 2003 world championships.
- Alleged white supremacist arrested after ankle monitor puts him at Capitol riot
- Legal battles continue with Kings Mountain casino construction underway
- 7-year-old boy struck by stray bullet during shootout in north Charlotte
- Justice Dept. closes insider trading investigation into Sen. Richard Burr without criminal charges
- Man tried to save life of NC teen who died after being hit by car
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now