COLLETON COUNTY, S.C. (WCBD) — Fourteen dogs perished and a North Colleton home was heavily damaged in a late morning fire at 982 Treu St. Sunday morning, according to Fire Chief Barry W. McRoy.
At approximately 10:40 a.m., 911 was notified of a house on fire at the intersection of Treu Street and Shady Dell Lane. Emergency crews arrived minutes later to find the single story wood frame dwelling heavily involved with fire across the entire front of the structure and fire venting from the attic vents on both ends of the building, McRoy stated.
Firefighter-paramedics deployed multiple handlines to the building and quickly knocked down the fire on the front of the home. Crews then made entry through the front door to extinguish the fire inside the home. Firefighters had the fire under control within 15 minutes, but overhaul took two hours.
McRoy stated that firefighters recovered seven deceased puppies and seven deceased adult canines from the building.
The fire appears to have started from a heat lamp on the front porch which was used to keep the dogs warm. No injuries were reported from the residents of the home.
Colleton Fire units were on the scene for three hours.