COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) – Police say a fight between residents outside a Columbia apartment complex where many college students live ended in a shooting early Friday morning.
It happened around 1 a.m. at Granby Mills on Heyward Street. Columbia police quickly arrived and detained two teens for questioning.
Richard Gainey III and Harlen Shumaker now face charges.
Police say the 19-year-olds, who live together at Granby Mills, were arguing with others outside the complex when they went back to their room to get guns.
When the pair went back to the group outside, they started physically fighting with others. The suspects are accused of shooting into the air multiple times.
Thankfully, no one was hit by gunfire.
Gainey and Shumaker are both charged with pointing and presenting a firearm, discharging a firearm in the city limits, and unlawful carrying of a pistol.
University of South Carolina Police officers assisted with the investigation.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 7-year-old Jeopardy! superfan gets sweet message from Alex Trebek after dressing up as ‘mini-Trebek’ for Halloween
- At least 1 dead as Hurricane Zeta hammers Gulf Coast
- U.S. Marshals searching for ‘armed and dangerous’ man in NC
- President Trump targeting rural voters in recent NC campaign stops
- ALERT DAY: Zeta remnants bring severe weather, wind to NC Thursday
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now
Copyright 2020 WIS. All rights reserved.