PORTSMOUTH, Va. (WAVY) — A 2-year-old child died after being bitten by a dog Monday afternoon in Portsmouth.
Portsmouth police say the attack happened just before 2 p.m. in the area of Darby Close, and officers found the 2-year-old with life-threatening injuries. The child was taken to the hospital, but later died.
The dog, a 1-year-old male pit bull, was surrendered to animal control officers and placed in quarantine.
People living on Darby Close didn’t want to speak on camera, but they tell 10 On Your Side they’re heartbroken for the toddler’s family.
In a post for an online fundraiser, the organizer, who identified as a family member, described the little girl as intelligent, sassy and a complete ball of energy.
Police say detectives and animal control officers are investigating the case, but have yet to release additional details. It’s not clear if anyone will be charged in the case.
There is a GoFundMe set up to help the child’s family. If you feel inclined to donate, click here.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Police use pepper spray, arrest 8 demonstrators at Graham voting rally
- Possible abduction reported in Fayetteville after teen girl seen forced into car, police say
- NC family shaken after being robbed at gunpoint at home; teens charged in crime spree
- Pence to visit NC Sunday for worship service with Franklin Graham
- Record-setting early voting period ends in NC
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now