PORT ROYAL, S.C. (AP) — Authorities in South Carolina say four people are dead after a vehicle plunged from a bridge into a waterway in Beaufort County.
Beaufort County Coroner Ed Allen said in a news release that the dead included three children ages 16, 6 and 3.
The deadly crash happened Saturday morning on a bridge linking Port Royal and Lady’s Island.
Port Royal Police are investigating what happened with help from the South Carolina Highway Patrol.
No cause has been announced.
The coroner said the dead were all residents of Burton.
They were identified as 36-year-old Lashay Tikia Doe, 16-year-old Jashawn Hawkins; 6-year-old Alonzo Houston and 3-year-old Cameron Perry.
A crew from the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources helped locate the submerged vehicle and raise it from the water.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Inmates can get COVID-19 relief money, no matter their offense, judge rules
- Trump paints apocalyptic portrait of life in US under Biden
- Durham Dark and Mysterious Ghost Walk details spooky history of the Bull City
- Man killed in Charlotte, marking city’s 100th homicide this year
- Second stimulus checks: What’s the status of $1,200 payments?
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now