MIDWAY, Ga. (WSAV) – Six people are dead following a head-on collision on I-95 in Georgia early Sunday morning.
According to Liberty County Sheriff’s Deputy Lt. Jason Colvin, around 2 a.m., the Liberty County 911 issued a “lookout advisory” on a white Lexus traveling southbound in the northbound lane of I-95. Deputies were headed to the interstate when they received another call about an accident that occurred on I-95 at exit 76 in Midway.
When deputies arrived, they found a head-on collision between the Lexus and an SUV with no survivors.
The driver of the Lexus was killed. GSP Trooper Markus White identified the driver as an “elderly gentleman” whose vehicle had Florida license plates. He was the only person in the car.
The two adults and three children riding in the SUV were also killed. The car had Virginia tags. Deputies believe the kids were between the ages of 3 and 10 years old.
The victims of both vehicles had to be extracted from the vehicles by the Midway Fire Department.
I-95 is back open near Exit 76 after being closed for several hours.
- Man shot ‘several times’ in Durham neighborhood, police say
- 1 now dead after 4 shot in Raleigh, 2 arrests made, police say
- Man shot by officer while reaching for gun in waistband, Ahoskie police say
- Trump’s support hits 6-month high in key battleground states, including NC
- UNC slips a spot in Top 25 poll despite win over NC State; Clemson remains No. 1
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now