NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WBTW ) –- Authorities have confirmed the body of a second boater who went missing in the Intracoastal Waterway has been found.
Searchers have located both bodies of two men who went missing in the Intracoastal Waterway on Sunday, according to David Lucas with the South Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources. Authorities are not releasing any information on the men at this time.
North Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue began searching Sunday after the boat the men were in hit the wake of another boat, knocking one of the two men into the water, Dowling said. The other man jumped into the water after him to help, according to Dowling.
One man who lives near the Intracoastal Waterway said he heard the helicopters and saw rescue crews outside.
“By the time I ran down the stairs from the bedroom, I saw one person hanging off the edge of the boat my sister said one person had gotten in the water and this person was just trying to help them and climb back on the boat,” Heppe said.
In a Twitter post on Monday morning before one of the men was located, the U.S. Coast said both of them were wearing life jackets and that both life jackets had been recovered.
North Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue, Horry County and the Department of Natural Resources worked together during the search.
During an Horry County Public Safety briefing about a week ago. Officials said they believe it is going to be a busy summer season.
“We are already seeing numbers that mimic the summertime of the past. The volume could be new to us and we are ready to respond,” Horry County Assistant Administrator, Randy Webster said.
“We will do that through labor day which we’ve done for the last 3 to 4 years. Our EMS managers are working very diligently and getting those put together for us now. We are actually putting our boat back in the Intracoastal Waterway during the summertime which has proved very effective for us and responding very quickly to medical calls,” Webster said.
Count on News13 for updates.