VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Police in Virginia Beach say a young child accidentally shot himself after finding a loaded firearm on Saturday afternoon.
Police responded to the 1600 block of Chase Arbor Commons in Virginia Beach for a report of a “young child suffering from a gunshot wound” just after 3:45 p.m.
Officials said that the young child “found a loaded firearm, picked it up, and accidentally shot himself.”
The child is suffering from life-threatening injuries and has been transported to a nearby hospital.
Police have not released information on the child’s age, owner of the firearm, how the child got hold of it.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- UNC, Duke plan for in-person graduation ceremonies — but Duke will only allow seniors to attend
- Study: Employment rose among those in free money experiment
- Texas family devastated after beloved dog shot in head, left in ditch
- UNC Health clinic treats COVID-19 long haulers
- Here’s why you shouldn’t compare efficacy numbers for the 3 COVID-19 vaccines