VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Police say a 23-year-old man has been arrested after a child in Virginia Beach accidentally shot and killed himself over the weekend.
Police say the incident happened just after 3:30 p.m. Saturday in the 1600 block of Chase Arbor Commons.
Initial investigations state that the child, described as under the age of 5, found a loaded firearm, picked it up, and accidentally shot himself.
The child was was rushed to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries, but later died from his injuries, police say.
Naquan Shamikel Jones, 23, was later arrested and charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and allowing access of a loaded firearm to children.
Police say the incident is still under investigation and more will be available soon.
- Clayton HS honors first responders, firefighter who died from COVID-19 before football opener
- 2 arrested on multiple drug charges; woman hid fentanyl ‘inside her body,’ deputies say
- Durham Public Schools puts plan to return to in-person instruction on hold
- High school football kicks off in the Triangle as COVID-19 restrictions set to ease
- ‘Shook the whole building’ – 1.9 magnitude earthquake reported in Sparta