OPELIKA, Ala. (WRBL) – We have a sad update to a story shared last week regarding an Auburn couple celebrating their 65th wedding anniversary inside East Alabama Medical Center as they were both hospitalized with COVID-19.
We promised we would follow up on this story, and unfortunately, we have received heartbreaking news from the couple’s daughter. Sherry Edwards tells us her 87-year-old father, Colonel Ollie Edwards passed away in the hospital Sunday night.
“We loved him dearly and will miss him forever,” shared Edwards. “His body just couldn’t fight this vicious virus. His 83-year-old bride Virginia was by his side and remains in the hospital. We are hopeful she will make a full recovery from the virus.”
Col. Edwards served 24 years in the U.S. Air Force, was a veteran of the Vietnam War, and was incredibly proud of his military service. He is survived by his wife, three children, and five grandchildren.
Colonel Edward’s passing comes just days after the couple celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary with help from the staff at East Alabama Medical Center who provided decorations, flowers, cake, and a special meal for the couple.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 3 dead after Florida-bound plane crashes in Georgia
- ‘I felt terrified;’ S.C. man recounts incident that resulted in deputy’s firing and misconduct charges
- S.C. teacher receives award after helping student call 911 over unresponsive mom
- Tips from a pro photographer on how to get the ultimate Instagram-worthy shot
- Oil company mistakenly delivers 100+ gallons to wrong address, flooding the basement