LONDON, Ky. (AP) — Police in Kentucky say a mother and grandmother were arrested when deputies discovered a 16-day-old newborn covered in ants on the floorboard of their van.
News outlets report 32-year-old Rebecca Jean Fultz and 69-year-old Charolette J. Simpson were charged Thursday with criminal abuse of a child and failure to use a child restraint device.
A news release from Laurel County sheriff’s office says the baby was found during a traffic stop.
The statement says deputies found the baby on the floorboard between the front seats, soiled and breathing heavy. The van didn’t have a safety seat and there was no air conditioning.
The release says the baby was treated for dehydration and is in better condition.
It’s unclear whether Fultz or Simpson has an attorney.
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Judge dismisses charges against 4 former social workers in death of California 8-year-old
- MEAC postpones fall sports over COVID-19 concerns
- NCDHHS reports 2,100+ new COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations remain over 1,100
- GOP restricts convention attendance as coronavirus surges in Florida
- Stop these common video call mistakes
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now