HERNANDO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — The fire department in Hernando County, Florida said a dog woke his owner up just in time for them to make their escape from a house fire in Spring Hill Monday morning.
The fire department responded to a residential fire on California Street around 4:25 a.m. The responding crew said they found heavy smoke and fire from a single-wide manufactured home. The fire was completely under control by 5:15 a.m.
Firefighters said the homeowner’s dog woke him up and allowed them to escape without injury. According to the owner, he had a fire in the fireplace and believes the log rolled out of it and onto the floor. Investigators found his beliefs to be true.
“[We] would like to remind the community [to] change smoke detector batteries twice a year and conduct routine fire risk assessment on your homes,” Hernando County Fire and Emergency Services said in a statement. “Fireplaces should be properly maintained and have protective screens to prevent sparks and debris from escaping.”
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Teen ‘Jane Doe’ identified in 54-year-old Texas cold case
- Trump pardons ex-strategist Steve Bannon, Lil Wayne, dozens of others
- Full list: All the pardons and commutations issued by President Trump in 2021
- Raleigh buildings light up in amber to honor lives lost to COVID-19
- Winning jackpot numbers for Mega Millions are chosen