SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) – A former Catholic priest who pleaded guilty to raping two boys has died just several months into a 20-year prison sentence in South Carolina.
The South Carolina Department of Corrections says 75-year-old Wayland Yoder Brown died at a hospital June 8. The ex-priest had been imprisoned since his guilty plea last October.
The case against Brown originated in neighboring Georgia in 2016, when the Diocese of Savannah paid $4.5 million to settle a lawsuit by a man who said Brown molested him more than 30 years earlier. Evidence showed Brown committed several rapes in South Carolina, which had no statute of limitations to bar prosecution.
Solicitor Duffie Stone said he hopes prosecuting Brown before he died gave his victims “at least some measure of peace.”
- California inmates tied to ‘staggering’ jobless aid scam worth over $140 million
- Caretakers return from remote Hawaiian islands to changed world amid pandemic
- Man says he stole heavy-duty batteries from Tennessee cell phone towers to fuel his drug habit
- With worsening COVID-19 pandemic, a growing concern about medical debt
- Teen nearly dies after getting syndrome tied to COVID-19
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now