SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) – A former Catholic priest who pleaded guilty to raping two boys has died just several months into a 20-year prison sentence in South Carolina.
The South Carolina Department of Corrections says 75-year-old Wayland Yoder Brown died at a hospital June 8. The ex-priest had been imprisoned since his guilty plea last October.
The case against Brown originated in neighboring Georgia in 2016, when the Diocese of Savannah paid $4.5 million to settle a lawsuit by a man who said Brown molested him more than 30 years earlier. Evidence showed Brown committed several rapes in South Carolina, which had no statute of limitations to bar prosecution.
Solicitor Duffie Stone said he hopes prosecuting Brown before he died gave his victims “at least some measure of peace.”
- Protester shot and killed, shooter won’t be charged, attorney says
- Neighbors join man afraid to walk alone for fear of not returning home alive
- President Trump threatens to deploy US military unless states halt violent protests
- Gov. Cooper greets group of protesters outside Executive Mansion
- Police officers kneel in solidarity with protesters in several U.S. cities
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now