FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla. (WNCN) – A deputy has been arrested after he was caught on camera choke slamming a 15-year-old girl, the Broward County sheriff said Tuesday.
Deputy Willard Miller was charged with child abuse with great bodily harm, which is a third-degree felony, following the incident at a school.
The 15-year-old had walked up behind the deputy and tapped the back of his knees with her foot. That caused his knees to buckle slightly.
At that point, Miller grabbed the teen by the neck and threw her to the ground, investigators say.
“His actions were deplorable. They were uncalled for. And they violated multiple policies just on the optics,” said Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony.
Miller has been a deputy with the Broward County Sheriff’s Office for three years.
He’s suspended without pay pending an internal affairs investigation.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- South Carolina woman drove car into storefront twice over cost of cigarettes, police say
- ‘Meth, I’m on it’: South Dakota commercial kicks off campaign with alarming message
- Mom reacts after a false wall hiding children was found in Colorado daycare
- 2018 was deadliest year of the flu in 40 years, new study finds
- Man pleads guilty to threatening to kill Democrat Ilhan Omar