FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla. (WNCN) – A deputy has been arrested after he was caught on camera choke slamming a 15-year-old girl, the Broward County sheriff said Tuesday.
Deputy Willard Miller was charged with child abuse with great bodily harm, which is a third-degree felony, following the incident at a school.
The 15-year-old had walked up behind the deputy and tapped the back of his knees with her foot. That caused his knees to buckle slightly.
At that point, Miller grabbed the teen by the neck and threw her to the ground, investigators say.
“His actions were deplorable. They were uncalled for. And they violated multiple policies just on the optics,” said Broward Sheriff Gregory Tony.
Miller has been a deputy with the Broward County Sheriff’s Office for three years.
He’s suspended without pay pending an internal affairs investigation.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Neuse Christian Academy cancels in-person classes after student tests positive for COVID-19
- Durham police investigating 2 murders near downtown
- The best-paying occupations that don’t require an advanced degree
- Mass shooting at large party in DC kills teenager, critically injures off-duty officer
- Wilson police ID 5-year-old killed in shooting; suspect still on the run