NAPLES, Fla. (AP) — A Florida woman has been convicted of killing a teenager she accused of molesting her daughter.
The Naples Daily News reports 43-year-old Connie Serbu was found guilty Thursday of second-degree murder. She faces a possible life sentence at a Jan. 3, 2020, hearing.
Authorities say Serbu and her brother, 29-year-old John Vargas, drove 18-year-old Xavier Sierra to an undeveloped area west of the Naples Airport in July 2016. Vargas was fatally wounded in a struggle for a gun, and Serbu managed to shoot Sierra in the chest.
Prosecutors say Serbu wanted to kill Sierra because her daughter had told a babysitter that Sierra had touched her five years earlier, when she was about 5 years old and he was 12 or 13.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Frontier requiring temperature checks for passengers, crew before boarding
- Trump slams governors as ‘weak,’ urges crackdown on protests
- A classic is back: Necco Wafers are headed back to store shelves
- Authorities investigating ‘suspicious’ fire at former slave plantation in Durham County
- Raleigh mayor issues 8 p.m. curfew following 2 nights of violence, destruction in downtown
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now