GATLINBURG, Tenn. (WATE) – The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is closings its visitor centers and the Elkmont Campground for the rest of Thursday.
The facilities are being closed because of weather conditions, park officials said around midday Thursday.
The following park roads are closed due to high waters and debris along the roadways: Little River Road from Laurel Falls Trail to the Townsend Wye, Wear Cove Gap Road, Greenbrier Road, Cherokee Orchard Road, Lakeview Drive, and Upper Tremont Road.
Backcountry trails remain open throughout the park, but trailhead access is limited due to road closures.
Hikers are advised to alter their routes to avoid trails with river crossings or to wait until the rivers recede.
For the most up to date information about road closures, follow SmokiesRoadsNPS on Twitter. Visitors may also call the Park’s Road and Weather Information Line at 865-436-1200.
- Knightdale, Durham Walmart stores evacuated due to bomb threats
- Working remotely? It’s time to rethink what is ‘home’ and what is ‘travel’
- Car crashes through fence, overturns at High Point business
- Tranquilo Bar and Restaurant in Greensboro has ABC permits suspended after 4 people left with minor stab wounds
- Suspect identified in thefts at UNCG campus