GATLINBURG, Tenn. (WATE) – The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is closings its visitor centers and the Elkmont Campground for the rest of Thursday.
The facilities are being closed because of weather conditions, park officials said around midday Thursday.
The following park roads are closed due to high waters and debris along the roadways: Little River Road from Laurel Falls Trail to the Townsend Wye, Wear Cove Gap Road, Greenbrier Road, Cherokee Orchard Road, Lakeview Drive, and Upper Tremont Road.
Backcountry trails remain open throughout the park, but trailhead access is limited due to road closures.
Hikers are advised to alter their routes to avoid trails with river crossings or to wait until the rivers recede.
For the most up to date information about road closures, follow SmokiesRoadsNPS on Twitter. Visitors may also call the Park’s Road and Weather Information Line at 865-436-1200.
- Raleigh’s mayor puts 10 p.m. curfew in place ahead of planned protest
- Donald Trump Jr. says COVID deaths have dropped to ‘almost nothing’ on record-breaking day for new cases
- Missouri breeder euthanizes 21 dogs instead of turning them over to inspectors, AG says
- Beloved doctor dies after giving birth, spotlighting risks of pregnancy conditions
- Freebies and deals for Halloween 2020
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now