COFFEE COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) — A 61-year-old who reported a woman missing last month had already dumped the woman’s body in a rural part of Tennessee following a fatal overdose, according to an arrest report.
The paperwork states Connie Ray reported the victim as missing June 9 and told authorities she had last been seen June 2.
Court documents released Wednesday claim Ray actually located the victim deceased from an overdose at a location on Emerson Street.
Ray attempted to destroy the evidence by transporting the woman’s body to the 800 block of Cole Ridge Road, where she tried to bury her, investigators said.
Multiple agencies were at the location Wednesday where authorities said the overdose victim’s skeletal remains were found an estimated 30 yards from the roadway.
Ray was lodged in the Coffee County jail on charges including abuse of a corpse, evidence tampering, and accessory after the fact.
No additional details have been released.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Water main break slows late-night traffic on major Raleigh roadway
- Sources: Security officers pulled off job at St. Augustine’s
- 2 dead as Imelda strands drivers, floods homes in Texas
- 29 years later, identity still unknown of woman found dead along I-40 in Orange County
- Presidential Candidate Bernie Sanders kicks off college tour at UNC-Chapel Hill
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now