COFFEE COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) — A 61-year-old who reported a woman missing last month had already dumped the woman’s body in a rural part of Tennessee following a fatal overdose, according to an arrest report.
The paperwork states Connie Ray reported the victim as missing June 9 and told authorities she had last been seen June 2.
Court documents released Wednesday claim Ray actually located the victim deceased from an overdose at a location on Emerson Street.
Ray attempted to destroy the evidence by transporting the woman’s body to the 800 block of Cole Ridge Road, where she tried to bury her, investigators said.
Multiple agencies were at the location Wednesday where authorities said the overdose victim’s skeletal remains were found an estimated 30 yards from the roadway.
Ray was lodged in the Coffee County jail on charges including abuse of a corpse, evidence tampering, and accessory after the fact.
No additional details have been released.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Wake Forest teen battling colon cancer ‘thankful’ for support and spending holiday with family
- Thousands travel through RDU over Thanksgiving, but numbers plummet from last year
- 1 wounded after shots fired into car along Glenwood Avenue in North Raleigh
- NC mall closes early due to ‘disturbance’
- 1 dead, 2 more wounded in shooting at Duplin County party