Video above is from December 2019
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WBTW) — A man killed in a shooting in Myrtle Beach that left several others injured bought dozens of gifts for kids last Christmas and planned to do the same thing this year.
Darius Hemingway, 30, of Myrtle Beach, was killed Monday morning in a shooting on Highway 501 near Canal Street. Last year, Hemingway and his friend, Jaylen Wright, bought dozens of gifts to hand out to the kids in their neighborhood.
Hemingway and Wright spoke to News13 last year and said they did it because they wanted to give back to the community.
“I always wanted to do something for my community,” Hemingway told News13 last year. “Once I was able to do it, I took advantage of it.”
After seeing the look on all the kids’ faces, Hemingway and Wright wanted to do the same thing this year.
“It means the world to these kids,” Hemingway said last year. “I’m pretty sure some needed it. Some might not have needed it, but I’m sure it means the world to them.”
No suspects have been named in the shooting.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- CBS 17 Job Alert – Advice for job seekers
- Texas early voting exceeds total of all 2016 ballots
- McRib is back: McDonald’s fan-favorite to be available nationwide for first time since 2012
- Daughter watches massive tree crush family’s home during Tropical Storm Zeta in NC
- Suspect in critical condition after NC officer-involved shooting
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now