HOUMA, La. (WGNO) – A man who told police he stole an electric scooter from a Walmart parking lot because he was too drunk to drive his vehicle to a nearby bar now faces felony charges related to the theft.
A Terrebonne Parish Sheriff’s Office deputy spotted the electric scooter parked between two cars outside a bar more than half a mile from the Walmart around 12:30 a.m. on Saturday.
The officer spoke to the bar’s security guard, who identified 32-year-old Brice Kendell Williams as the man who had arrived on the Walmart scooter.
Williams told the officer he didn’t want to drive his own vehicle to the bar because he was afraid he would get a DWI, according to police.
Instead, Williams was arrested and charged with unauthorized use of a moveable, which is a felony.
His bond was set at $2,500.
- 1,329 new cases of COVID-19 reported Sunday, third day of record hospitalizations
- Second stimulus check: Where we stand as July begins
- Orange County Board of Commissioners Listening Session on Racial Justice
- 74-year-old woman struck, killed by celebratory 4th of July gunfire
- 2 dead, 8 injured in South Carolina Night Club shooting
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now