KEYSVILLE, Va. (WRIC) - Virginia State Police confirmed the state's sixth Michael-related death after a missing woman's body was recovered Saturday.
Since Thursday, officials have searched for Ruby S. Allen, 62, of Eureka after she was swept away in flooding water.
Police made the discovery about 11:30 a.m. Saturday, after a volunteer K9 rescue team recovered the remains.
She was found a mile from where the vehicle she and two family members were riding in became stranded on a bridge along Mt. Harmony Road in Charlotte County, according to police.
Ronnie Allen Jr., 36, who was Ruby Allen's son was found dead on Friday after the incident around 7:30 p.m. Thursday west of Keysville.
Ronnie Allen's 17-year-old son was also in the vehicle and was rescued by Charlotte County Sheriff's Deputies.
The 17-year-old was rescued while clinging to a guardrail after floodwaters in Charlotte County swamped his family’s car and swept away his father and grandmother.
Virginia State Police said two other occupants had also clung to bridge railings but were swept away by the rushing water before rescuers could reach them.
"I want to commend the incredible number of volunteers who came out to assist with the search efforts for Ms. Allen today," said Charlotte County Administrator Dan Witt. "We are thankful for the hard work and long hours put forth by our volunteer fire and EMS personnel, the Charlotte County Sheriff's Office, the Virginia State Police and the Virginia Department of Emergency Management. We keep the Allen family in our thoughts and prayers as they seek comfort and peace in the wake of this very tragic situation."
The Virginia Department of Emergency Management (VDEM) is now reporting six storm-related deaths - to include Ruby Allen.
- Neighbor recounts events that led to Johnston County couple stealing deputy's cruiser
- Raleigh company goes viral after employees give their children air filters for Christmas
- Wake County school employee arrested for sex acts with a student
- Russian businessman to stay in jail pending laundering trial
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Race could be factor in 5-year-old NC girl's rape, murder, according to court docs
- DISTURBING: NC dog tied down, shot over 100 times with BB gun at close range
- Attorney: Man at center of ballot controversy broke no laws
- NC woman faces felony after child hit with broomstick, switch and fist, officials say