NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. (WBTW/WNCN) – Detectives with the North Myrtle Beach Department of Public Safety made an arrest Friday afternoon in connection with a sexual assault earlier this week.
Deputies charged 32-year-old Derby Sykes of Bladenboro, North Carolina with third-degree criminal sexual misconduct, according to a news release sent out Saturday morning.
The incident happened late Tuesday night, when Sykes assaulted a 16-year-old girl who was swimming on a beach near 4th Avenue North, police said.
“Sykes allegedly grabbed the victim and sexually assaulted her before fleeing south along the beach,” the news release said.
Detectives were able to track Sykes down by using surveillance footage from a nearby business, police said.
“The victim positively identified Sykes as the suspect,” police added.
Sykes is currently being held without bond.
- Wake Forest holds virtual July 4th fireworks show amid pandemic
- Eastbound lanes of US 64 closed in Wake County due to wreck, troopers say
- At Rushmore, Trump to say protesters seek to ‘defame’ heroes
- Violence mars Portland protests, frustrates Black community
- Boy killed, girl injured among 4 victims in Alabama mall shooting
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now