CHEROKEE CO., SC (WSPA) – A newborn baby girl was found abandoned on the porch of a home near Blacksburg in Cherokee County, Saturday morning.
According to the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office, the baby was left on the porch of a home on McKee Drive around 8:30 a.m. on January 4.
The homeowner told deputies that his doorbell rang and he found the baby wrapped in a blanket on the porch when he opened the door.
The man took the baby to Cherokee Medical Center, deputies said.
The girl was transferred to Spartanburg Medical Center and was placed into emergency protective custody of the South Carolina Department of Social Services.
Medical personnel at the hospital believe the girl was born premature and weighs just under five pounds.
Investigators are asking anyone who had information about the baby or the identity of the person responsible for leaving the child to call Crime Stoppers at 888-CRIME-SC or Captain Daniel Ward with the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office at 864-489-4722 extension 119.
- Prosecution’s case against ex-cop in Floyd death nears end
- WATCH: Thief on motorcycle rips necklace off woman in middle of NYC crosswalk
- FEMA launches funeral assistance program, reimbursing families up to $9,000 for COVID-19 deaths
- Johnston County school bus involved in crash, 4 students injured, officials say
- Sponsored Content: NC DHHS Vaccine Safety