BRADENTON, Fla. (WFLA) — The Bradenton Police Department in Florida said a woman purposely overdosed and killed her grandson because she believed she was dying soon and no one would be there to care for him when she was gone.
Officers responded to Riverfront Drive near Jamestown Circle for a report of a deceased individual around noon Sunday. Upon arrival, officers found that a disabled 30-year-old man had died.
The man’s grandmother, Lillian Parks, told officers she purposely overdosed her grandson with intention of ending his life. She told officers she believed she was dying soon and would not be there to care for him when she was gone.
The police department said the man was discovered by his sister, who then called the police.
Lillian Parks was taken to a medical center for treatment and evaluation.
The police department is investigating the incident and charges are pending.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Virginia rocket launch may be visible for most of East Coast and as far west as Ohio
- NC reports record highs in daily deaths, total hospitalizations due to COVID-19
- North Carolina community colleges to train law enforcement officers on impartial policing
- Fight over wearing mask leads to fatal police shooting, state police say
- Get started in your new career with an apprenticeship
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now