RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Police say the man whose body was found in a burning warehouse in Richmond, Virginia last Friday had been shot. They are now investigating his death as a homicide.
Fire crews responded to the blaze on S. Thurman Street, off Jefferson Davis Highway in the city’s southside, at around 2:30 a.m. When they arrived, they found smoke coming out of an open door and flames engulfing the building.
It took crews hours to mark the blaze under control. As the fire was suppressed, firefighters found 35-year-old Anthony S. Wheeler, of Charles City, unconscious inside the warehouse suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The Medical Examiner will determine the cause and manner of death.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Major Crimes Detective M. Godwin at (804) 317-6922 or contact Crime Stoppers at (804) 780-1000 or at www.7801000.com . The P3 Tips Crime Stoppers app for smartphones may also be used. All Crime Stoppers methods are anonymous.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Man killed in the middle of the day near NC strip mall
- Colin Kaepernick signs multi-project deal with Disney
- St. Augustine’s University helps students SOAR into a new experience
- Local senior communities prioritize optimal living, safety
- Monday, July 6th : SOAR into fall with St. Augustine’s University, Local active senior community prioritizes safety
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now