NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — A 60-year-old woman tried to smother her husband with a pillow as he was in a hospital bed at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, police say.
Barbara Jones was booked into the Metro jail Sunday on a charge of attempted criminal homicide.
According to an arrest affidavit, Vanderbilt police responded Saturday to a hospital room at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Someone in the hospital reported hearing screams from the victim’s room and told officers they entered the room and witnessed Jones removing a pillow from her husband’s face.
The victim screamed to the witness “she tried to smother me to death,” police said.
When the victim was interviewed by police, he told officers Jones was completely on top of him in the hospital bed using all of her body weight. Due to his medical state, he claimed he was unable to lift her off of him.
Prior to the incident, the victim stated he could hear his wife drinking and could smell alcohol in the room.
Bond for Jones was set at $50,000. She is expected in court Wednesday.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Durham man faces murder charge after man dies following argument, shooting on Holloway Street
- Crashes, downed lines cause issues for drivers Friday morning in Raleigh
- Snowfall totals for Feb. 20
- ‘We never give up’ – Cumberland County sheriff addresses arrest in 21-year-old case of Baby Michael
- Russia is looking to help Trump win in 2020, security official tells lawmakers
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now