PENSACOLA, Fla. (WKRG) — Police say a registered sex offender who ran off from officers scaled a radio antenna tower in Pensacola Monday afternoon.
The incident happened around 6 p.m. (Eastern time) on Palafox and Jordan. Images from the scene show the man about halfway up a large tower.
By 6:28 p.m., police were working to rescue the man.
ADX Communications, which owns the tower, has been asked to power down the tower temporarily.
This affects the signal of NewsRadio 92.3 and ESPN Pensacola.
The incident is causing traffic troubles in the area as well and police are asking people to avoid the area.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 31 people tested in COVID-19 outbreak at Clayton nursing home; some workers walked out last week
- ‘I’ve got to be there for them,’ says Raleigh hospice certified nursing assistant
- ‘Memories are everything’: Cleveland product Caiden Norman treasures role with ECU despite limited playing chances
- 1-year-old shot in head in NC town, police say
- Duke law student recovers from coronavirus, wants others to learn from his experience
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now