CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD/WBTW) – The State Law Enforcement Division has confirmed to Nexstar-affiliate WCBD in Charleston that there is an open investigation that includes Mother Emanuel AME Church.
SLED tells News13 they cannot provide any details about the investigation because it is an open case.
The Post and Courier in Charleston reports that the investigation surrounds finances, including donations.
Mother Emanuel is the church where Dylann Roof opened fire on June 17, 2015. Nine people were killed at a Bible study.
The events of that day were remembered this past June.
In 2016, a former employee of the church claimed she saw illegal activity going on at the church but when she spoke out about it, was fired.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Gov. Cooper requests major disaster declaration to help with Hurricane Isaias recovery
- Police seize over 320,000 condoms that were cleaned, resold as new
- ‘Benadryl challenge’: FDA issues alert over dangerous TikTok trend
- Proposal would transform area of Wake Forest Road/I-440 into a ‘Walkable Midtown’
- Black voters’ mail-in ballots in NC rejected twice as often as whites. Why?
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now