CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD/WBTW) – The State Law Enforcement Division has confirmed to Nexstar-affiliate WCBD in Charleston that there is an open investigation that includes Mother Emanuel AME Church.
SLED tells News13 they cannot provide any details about the investigation because it is an open case.
The Post and Courier in Charleston reports that the investigation surrounds finances, including donations.
Mother Emanuel is the church where Dylann Roof opened fire on June 17, 2015. Nine people were killed at a Bible study.
The events of that day were remembered this past June.
In 2016, a former employee of the church claimed she saw illegal activity going on at the church but when she spoke out about it, was fired.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Chase for the Championship | VT’s hot start, UNC continues domination
- 2-year-old German Shepherd will forever look like a puppy due to rare genetic condition
- Busted power pole concerns Durham residents
- Toothbrush punctures throat of 5-year-old girl after she fell while brushing her teeth
- Sexual assault survivor, senator advocates for new act to protect women against violence
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now