MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (WKRN) — A Tennessee attorney has been arrested and indicted on multiple rape charges, according to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.
The TBI reported an investigation by special agents resulted in the arrest of 49-year-old David Whelan.
Agents began investigating allegations the Murfreesboro, Tennessee attorney attempted to get a client to provide sexual activity in lieu of payment, according to the TBI.
Investigators determined Whelan forced or coerced female clients into sex as a way to re-pay their attorney fees.
Whelan was indicted Monday on four counts of rape by fraud, four counts of rape by coercion and one count of promoting prostitution. He was arrested on Tuesday and booked into the Rutherford County Jail on a $75,000 bond.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Teen ‘Jane Doe’ identified in 54-year-old Texas cold case
- Trump pardons ex-strategist Steve Bannon, Lil Wayne, dozens of others
- Full list: All the pardons and commutations issued by President Trump in 2021
- Raleigh buildings light up in amber to honor lives lost to COVID-19
- Winning jackpot numbers for Mega Millions are chosen