NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) – The world’s first Discovery Yacht, the Scenic Eclipse, is set to call on Norfolk this week.
It wasn’t long ago that the Eclipse was christened by Dame Helen Mirren herself. Now the cruise vessel is scheduled to be in Norfolk Thursday morning and will depart the following day.
The 551-foot Eclipse has 114 suites and accommodates 228 passengers. The first-of-its-kind vessel also features two helicopters and its very own six-person submarine which can dive to a depth of 300 meters.
The Eclipse is the first ocean cruise vessel for Australian-based Scenic Luxury Cruises & Tours.
Nauticus executive director Stephen E. Kirkland says everyone at Nauticus’ Decker Half Moone Center is absolutely thrilled to welcome the vessel and its guests to Norfolk.
“This is a real first for us and we intend to roll out the red carpet,” said Kirkland.
The Eclipse is just one of the vessels that will carry the more than 35,000 passengers expected to call on Norfolk this coming fall and winter.
- Celebrity chef Rachael Ray escapes after home goes up in flames
- Seafood restaurant’s permit pulled over face mask, social distancing
- Meteor shower to peak starting Tuesday; here’s how to watch
- Former long-serving state superintendent favors virtual learning during pandemic
- Money offered for info on former ‘Tiger King’ star husband