HARTSVILLE, S.C. (WBTW) – Darlington County deputies have arrested a man after they say he barricaded himself in a home with a child.
Deputies responded to a home on Bills Circle in Hartsville around 5 a.m. Sunday, where someone was threatening family members with a handgun.
When deputies arrived, they were told by family members the suspect was barricaded inside with a child, a press release from the Darlington County Sheriff’s Office said.
Deputies with the Special Incident Response Team entered the home where they found a three-year-old child, the release said. The child was removed safely from the home.
Authorities released a clip from the body camera worn by a deputy responding to the incident. It shows the moments the child was taken out of the home.
Deputies say the suspect was found hiding inside a closet with a loaded handgun.
“My deputies demonstrated amazing bravery today to make sure this baby was back with his mother,” Darlington County Sheriff Tony Chavis said. “These guys constantly train for this moment, and today it paid off.”
Curtis Michael Dixon, 28, of Hartsville, was arrested and booked into the W. Glenn Campbell Detention Center. Deputies said he will face charges related to this incident. Dixon is also wanted out of Chesterfield County for armed robbery and other offenses, authorities said.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Wilson gym owner re-opens, plans to file lawsuit against Gov. Cooper
- Families pay their respects at Raleigh National Cemetery on Memorial Day
- Butner inmate dies 3 days after testing positive for COVID-19, officials say
- Man dies after 3rd shooting in 8 days along Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle Beach
- Carolina Beach Ocean Rescue responds to dozens of water rescues Memorial Day Weekend