MIDWAY, Ga. (WAVY) – Georgia State Patrol confirms a family of five from Portsmouth died in a head-on crash on Interstate 95 in Liberty County early Sunday morning.
Authorities say a total of six people, including three children, died in the crash.
Liberty County Sheriff’s Deputy Lt. Jason Colvin says the crash occurred on I-95 near Midway. When they arrived, deputies found a head-on wreck between a Lexus and an SUV. All six people in the two vehicles were pronounced dead at the scene.
Georgia State Police identified the driver of the Lexus as an “elderly gentleman.” He was the only person in the Lexus, which had Florida tags.
The SUV had Virginia tags and authorities said two adults and three children were in that vehicle. The passengers have since been identified as:
- 41-year-old Sara Robinson
- 37-year-old Nathan Robinson
- 12 or 13-year-old Stephen Robinson
- 13 or 14-year-old Rebecca Robinson
- 4 or 5-year-old Alexander Robinson
All five were from Portsmouth, Virginia.
According to the Georgia State Patrol, the age discrepancy stems from extended family members being unable to remember the exact age of each child.
On Sunday night their friends and neighbors held a vigil at their home.
Neighbors tell 10 On Your Side’s Tamara Scott they were waiting for them to get back from a family trip down south. When the children in the neighborhood realized they were never coming home, they wanted to honor them with a vigil.
Children who say they were very close with the family decided on their own to bring candles, Teddy bears, and love to the front steps of the home that welcomed them in every day.
They are sad, but they want everyone to know the family that became their own family.
“Becca and Miss Sara were always so sweet to us and so loving and so welcoming, so we decided to do something and loving for them,” said Tomya McCall.
“I was really close with them, I’ve known them for almost 6 years and I was really close with Becca. And it’s almost our six-year anniversary, I just miss them so much,” added Madison Cox.
The driver and sole occupant of the Lexus will be identified after authorities notify family.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Betty White says she’s doing perfectly fine despite the coronavirus pandemic
- 2 WWII veterans who are lifelong friends celebrate 96th and 97th birthdays together
- Valor, 2-year-old NC horse born on Memorial Day, dies following snake bite infection
- Loggerhead sea turtle ran over by vehicle while laying eggs at Cape Hatteras National Seashore beach
- 13-year-old student graduates from community college, earns 4 associate’s degrees
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now