MARION, Va. (AP/WJHL) – Police in Virginia say a woman and three young children are dead in an apparent murder-suicide.
The Smyth County Sheriff’s Office said authorities discovered the bodies of a 27-year-old woman, a 10-year-old and 3-year-old child after responding to a call Friday morning in Marion, a small town in Virginia’s southwest.
Police said a 6-year-old child was found in critical condition. The child was taken to a hospital and later died.
An 8-year-old child “escaped the scene,” police said.
Police said a preliminary investigation shows the woman killed the children and there are no other suspects. Police did not immediately release the names of the woman and children.
Police say the fourth child who escaped is with family. No update has been given on that child at this time.
- Blitz – 4A NC Championship | Cardinal Gibbons vs. Grimsley
- UNC addressing hundreds of COVID-19 violations outlined in conduct report
- 97-year-old NC mother of 14, grandmother of 40 excited for Mother’s Day after pandemic put a damper on 2020 celebrations
- NCCU pitcher Austin Vernon throws 1st no-hitter in school’s modern era
- Man paid hitman in Bitcoin to kill his wife, FBI says