MIAMI (CNN NEWSOURCE) – A woman spent the night in the Miami-Dade County Jail after being arrested for disturbing a sea turtle nest.
Yaqun Lu, 41, a Chinese citizen, was arrested Saturday in Miami Beach for attempting to destroy a protected sea turtle nest.
According to an arrest report, officers observed Lu stomping on a marked-off turtle nest and using a wooden stake to poke it.
Police say the area was clearly marked and had a double perimeter as well as a warning sign.
Lu is now facing a felony charge of molesting marine turtles or eggs.
The turtles are protected under federal and state law.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission was called out to reestablish the turtle nest perimeter.
Latest news on CBS17.com:
- Police investigating after man shot at North Raleigh home
- Family devastated after burglar steals baby’s ashes from home
- Blount lifts NC Central over Christendom College 109-28
- Roanoke Rapids day care owner says she’s heartboken after employees arrested for child abuse
- ‘An Evening with Chevy Chase’ comes to Raleigh; includes ‘Christmas Vacation’ screening
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now