Mom in custody after children tossed off bridge; 1 dead, another hospitalized

Around the South

SHREVEPORT, La. (KTAL/KMSS) – Shreveport police confirm a mother is in custody, accused of throwing two children off a bridge into Cross Lake is in custody.

The body of one of the young children, a boy, was recovered from the lake by Shreveport police marine patrol officers after someone reported seeing a child floating near the Cross Lake bridge just before 11 a.m. Friday.

A marine patrol then found and rescued another small child in the water. That child was taken to LSU Oschner Health Shreveport alive, but in very serious condition with what were considered life-threatening injuries.

Ureka Black, 32 (Source: Caddo Parish Sheriff’s Office)

According to Shreveport police, 32-year-old Ureka Black is charged with one count each of second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder. No bond was set.

Black was taken into custody at a rest area in Waskom, Texas early Friday afternoon and is awaiting extradition back to Caddo Parish.

Drone video courtesy of Seth Winterer shows the scene along the shore of Cross Lake on Friday after one of the children was pulled from the water.

A third child has been located and is safe, police say. Police later confirmed the woman involved was the mother of the children.

Police say an alert was sent out to law enforcement agencies to look for the woman’s vehicle, a gray Dodge Caravan with Texas tags.

The woman was taken into custody without incident at the rest area just across the Texas state line after a Waskom police officer spotted the vehicle.

Police are asking anyone who may have seen the gray van or “anything out of order” to contact their detectives at 318-673-6955 or Crime Stoppers, where tips are always anonymous, at 318-673-7373.

“This is a tragedy and we ask for prayers for the children and their family,” Wilhite said. “Pray for our law enforcement officers that have been out here all day, all morning working on this. Our firefighters, Life Air, our dive teams with the Caddo sheriff’s department, and the police department. It’s been a multi-agency effort. Unfortunately, there’s no happy ending to this, but we do have the suspect in custody. Our detectives are working right now on interviews and recovering more evidence in the case.”

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Click here for full list of trending stories