(CNN Newsource) – “They” is Merriam-Webster’s word of the year.
The American English dictionary says searches for the non-binary pronoun have increased by 313 percent in the last year.
The definition of “they” as a nonbinary pronoun was added to the three other separate definitions of the word in September.
According to the dictionary’s senior editor, pronouns are among the English language’s most commonly used words, and in the past year, more people searched for the proper usage of “they”.
In September, British singer-songwriter Sam Smith, who recently came out as non-binary, asked to be referred to as they/them.
Other terms that were widely searched in 2019 were: quid pro quo, impeach, crawdad and egregious.
- Necas tees up 2 goals to help ‘Canes to 3-2 win over Bruins, tying series
- Twin beams of light won’t shine during 9/11 tribute in NYC
- Texas band director accused of having child porn, recording students
- Streaming on the big screen: Chapel Hill movie theater to open for private group bookings
- Wake County middle school sports suspended for 1st semester
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now