(CNN Newsource) – Scientists thought this tiny deer-like animal was extinct.
But 30 years later, the chevrotain has been photographed in Vietnam.
Despite its’ nickname and appearance, chevrotains are neither mice nor deer, but the world’s smallest hoofed mammals.
Researchers thought they were extinct because of the illegal wildlife trade.
Scientists warn that just because this species was found, does not mean it isn’t threatened.
Some want to put conservation measures in place to ensure the chevrotains survive.
Details of the rediscovery were published Monday in the scientific journal Nature Ecology & Evolution.
- You can get a free Firehouse sub if your name is Michael, Marquita or Michelle
- Florida man recorded by neighbor beating dog unconscious, police say
- Thunberg ‘a bit surprised’ to be Time ‘Person of the Year’
- ‘He was our baby’: Family devastated after veterinarian euthanizes wrong dog
- Colorful crosswalks not sitting well with some in Durham
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now