(CNN Newsource) – Scientists thought this tiny deer-like animal was extinct.
But 30 years later, the chevrotain has been photographed in Vietnam.
Despite its’ nickname and appearance, chevrotains are neither mice nor deer, but the world’s smallest hoofed mammals.
Researchers thought they were extinct because of the illegal wildlife trade.
Scientists warn that just because this species was found, does not mean it isn’t threatened.
Some want to put conservation measures in place to ensure the chevrotains survive.
Details of the rediscovery were published Monday in the scientific journal Nature Ecology & Evolution.
- Report: Washington Redskins to remove Native American imagery
- Tulsa health official says Trump rally ‘likely contributed’ to spike in coronavirus cases
- Ivy League calls off fall sports due to outbreak
- Man in stolen SUV arrested after crashing into woman in stolen car, police say
- Supply shortages slow down COVID-19 testing in North Carolina
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now