(CNN Newsource) – Scientists thought this tiny deer-like animal was extinct.
But 30 years later, the chevrotain has been photographed in Vietnam.
Despite its’ nickname and appearance, chevrotains are neither mice nor deer, but the world’s smallest hoofed mammals.
Researchers thought they were extinct because of the illegal wildlife trade.
Scientists warn that just because this species was found, does not mean it isn’t threatened.
Some want to put conservation measures in place to ensure the chevrotains survive.
Details of the rediscovery were published Monday in the scientific journal Nature Ecology & Evolution.
- VDH confirms first child death due to COVID-19 is teen in the Southside Health District
- Foot Locker turning U.S. stores into temporary voter registration sites
- 2 groups exchanged gunfire outside North Carolina day care, police say
- North Carolina Marine – the oldest living – celebrates 107th birthday
- Garner chief: Police chase of stolen vehicle ends when it crashes into Raleigh house
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now