(CNN Newsource) – Scientists thought this tiny deer-like animal was extinct.
But 30 years later, the chevrotain has been photographed in Vietnam.
Despite its’ nickname and appearance, chevrotains are neither mice nor deer, but the world’s smallest hoofed mammals.
Researchers thought they were extinct because of the illegal wildlife trade.
Scientists warn that just because this species was found, does not mean it isn’t threatened.
Some want to put conservation measures in place to ensure the chevrotains survive.
Details of the rediscovery were published Monday in the scientific journal Nature Ecology & Evolution.
- Campbell women’s soccer takes conference title, learns Monday their foe in NCAA Tournament
- Triangle doctors discuss rare clots found in handful of J&J COVID-19 vaccine recipients
- NASA’s Mars helicopter is set to take history-making flight Monday. Here’s how to watch it
- NC women takeing classes to protect themselves after sexual assault and violence
- Man charged with hit-and-run in Raleigh crash that injured motorcyclist, closed US 1 for hours