PINK HILL, N.C. (WNCT) – The Highway Patrol said a woman and a toddler died in a crash on Highway 258 Monday morning.
Troopers responded around 9 a.m. to Highway 258 southbound between Jonestown and Pleasant Hill roads.
A dump truck crossed over the center line and hit a 2002 Honda Accord head-on, troopers said.
Passing motorists tried to help, troopers said, but the woman who was driving the Honda and the toddler did not survive.
Their identities have not been released, and there is no word on charges.
Patrol Sgt. Scott Hemby said a bystander tried to give the child CPR, but both the child and the woman died at the scene.
The investigation is ongoing.
The driver of the dump truck was taken to Lenoir Memorial with non-life-threatening injuries.
The road was closed in both directions, but troopers said it reopened before noon.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: JET MAKES ROUGH LANDING AT RDU DURING HIGH WINDS
- WINDS KNOCK 70 CARGO CONTAINERS OFF SHIP, FLOOD ROADS AT OUTER BANKS
- POLICE: GUNSHOT RUMORS ’CAUSED CHAOS’ DURING NC MALL FIGHT INVOLVING 80-100 TEENS
- MOM SOUGHT AFTER ABDUCTING HER 2 INFANT CHILDREN, FAYETTEVILLE POLICE SAY
- NC CHURCH VANDALIZED WITH VULGAR GRAFFITI REFERENCING JESUS AND REV. BILLY GRAHAM