LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) — A father was shot and killed by the boyfriend of his child’s mother while exchanging custody of the toddler Thursday afternoon.
The incident occurred in the area of Ewell Road in Lakeland, Florida at the home of the child’s mother, who was not present at the time of the shooting.
Sheriff Grady Judd said something caused the custody exchange to become hostile, and the father was shot.
The father died shortly after.
Judd said both men called 911 after the shooting. He added that the woman’s boyfriend, the alleged shooter, is not considered a suspect at this stage of the investigation and is cooperating with police.
The father’s mother was attending the custody exchange with her son and was present at the time her son was shot and killed, Judd said.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- Supreme Court says Manhattan district attorney can get Trump tax records
- Destination Vacation: Diving into the history of the Gullah Geechee
- Trump argues high COVID-19 cases due to testing – experts largely disagree
- Teens discover bodies stuffed in bags while filming TikTok videos
- VIRAL VIDEO: COVID-19 through the eyes of a 4-year-old
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now