LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) — A father was shot and killed by the boyfriend of his child’s mother while exchanging custody of the toddler Thursday afternoon.
The incident occurred in the area of Ewell Road in Lakeland, Florida at the home of the child’s mother, who was not present at the time of the shooting.
Sheriff Grady Judd said something caused the custody exchange to become hostile, and the father was shot.
The father died shortly after.
Judd said both men called 911 after the shooting. He added that the woman’s boyfriend, the alleged shooter, is not considered a suspect at this stage of the investigation and is cooperating with police.
The father’s mother was attending the custody exchange with her son and was present at the time her son was shot and killed, Judd said.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- 2 men convicted of kidnapping, torturing woman in Indiana basement
- Former Kentucky governor pardons convicted killer, child rapist before leaving office
- Woman finds $37 million in her bank account after clerical error
- Bullied 4th grade boy takes his own life
- New UNC chancellor plans to move university forward amidst Silent Sam controversy
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now