LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) — A father was shot and killed by the boyfriend of his child’s mother while exchanging custody of the toddler Thursday afternoon.
The incident occurred in the area of Ewell Road in Lakeland, Florida at the home of the child’s mother, who was not present at the time of the shooting.
Sheriff Grady Judd said something caused the custody exchange to become hostile, and the father was shot.
The father died shortly after.
Judd said both men called 911 after the shooting. He added that the woman’s boyfriend, the alleged shooter, is not considered a suspect at this stage of the investigation and is cooperating with police.
The father’s mother was attending the custody exchange with her son and was present at the time her son was shot and killed, Judd said.
- ‘He was terrified,’ son says as Raleigh granddad still in hospital after dog attack that injured 3 others
- Former UNC QB Marquise Williams to join St. Augustine’s coaching staff
- FDA seeks to increase numbers of children in COVID-19 vaccine clinical trials, reports say
- ‘There’s plenty of information’ – Durham VA periodontist supports COVID-19 vaccine mandate
- 5-year-old girl dies in Moore County; mom and her boyfriend charged, Aberdeen police say