LEXINGTON, Va. (WFXR) – After hours of discussion, Lexington City Council unanimously voted to rename Stonewall Jackson Memorial Cemetery.
Earlier Thursday night, six speakers joined City Council via Zoom, to voice their thoughts. All six voiced support in renaming the cemetery.
Lexington is home to Washington and Lee University, a small, private college named after George Washington and Robert E. Lee.
Another larger group of citizens emailed City Council with the majority also supporting renaming the cemetery.
City Council decided against forming a committee, but instead plans to have the public join in on the renaming process. They plan to have a name decided on by September 3, 2020.
The cemetery is where the Confederate General was buried. It was formerly known as the Presbyterian Cemetery and was renamed in 1949.
- Man mauled after paying for ‘full-contact’ leopard experience in Florida
- Some NC voters say they support November 12 absentee deadline
- 22-month-old NC boy shot while in minivan
- 8-year-old girl dies after being shot while doing homework
- Lil Wayne gets backlash after showing support for Trump