NEW YORK — A federal judge has rejected President Trump’s challenge to the release of his tax returns for a New York state criminal probe. Judge Victor Marrero ruled Monday. He said he cannot endorse such a “categorical and limitless assertion of presidential immunity from judicial process.”
The returns had been sought by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. His office is investigating the Trump Organization’s involvement in buying the silence of two women who claimed to have had affairs with the president.
Mr. Trump’s lawyers have said the investigation is politically motivated and that the quest for his tax records should be stopped because he is immune from any criminal probe as long as he is president.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
- Raleigh police investigating hazmat situation at nursing home
- At least 1 pulled from surf at NC coast amid rip current risk
- PHOTOS: Man walking dog along beach finds house washed away in OBX
- Tennessee police chief’s tweet condemning police brutality goes viral
- Durham County moves to next phase of reopening
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now