NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — A North Carolina woman was caught with a loaded handgun with six bullets at Norfolk International Airport last Friday, officials said.
Norfolk International’s TSA officers found the gun in the woman’s carry-on luggage as it entered an X-ray device. The gun was confiscated by airport police and the woman was taken in for questioning.
She was cited by airport police, according to a news release.
People who bring weapons to the TSA checkpoint are subject to federal civil penalties up to $13,333, even if you have concealed gun carry permits. 15 guns were caught at ORF checkpoints in 2019 and 21 were found in 2018.
4,432 firearms were found in carry-on bags across the U.S. in 2019, a 5 percent increase from 2018, the TSA says.
More headlines from CBS17.com:
- North Carolina receives ‘D’ in social distancing
- Triangle high school golfers reflect on season that could have been
- Woman with Raleigh ties suspected of abducting 9-year-old apprehended in Virginia
- State now tracking COVID-19 outbreaks at longterm care facilities
- Inmate dies after being stabbed by another offender at NC prison
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now