DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – Two car theft suspects are in custody following a five mile pursuit that ended in a crash early Sunday morning.
Authorities say deputies attempted traffic stop on a suspected stolen vehicle in the area of Highway 55 and Meridian Parkway just before 3 a.m.
The vehicle refused to stop and a pursuit began.
Deputies pursued the vehicle for approximately 5 miles when the vehicle crashed into a pole at East Pettigrew Street and Grant Street.
Both suspects attempted to flee the vehicle on foot but were apprehended by deputies after a brief foot chase.
No one was injured.
Authorities say the vehicle was determined to be stolen.
Both suspects were taken into custody.
The driver, identified as 20-year-old James D’Shawn Bass, has been charged with possession of a stolen motor vehicle and felony flee to elude arrest. Bass also has multiple outstanding warrants.
The passenger was identified as 24-year-old Joshua Shepard and is facing charges for a previous outstanding warrant for possession of a stolen vehicle.
- Pigeons wearing tiny MAGA hats released in downtown Las Vegas
- Lawmakers confident US health officials will contain coronavirus: ‘I think they’re all over this one’
- 2 years later: Parkland students, families in Washington pushing for stronger gun regulation
- Department of Transportation grants give millions to coastal ports
- First lady spends Valentine’s Day with young patients
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now