DURHAM, N.C. (WNCN) – Two car theft suspects are in custody following a five mile pursuit that ended in a crash early Sunday morning.
Authorities say deputies attempted traffic stop on a suspected stolen vehicle in the area of Highway 55 and Meridian Parkway just before 3 a.m.
The vehicle refused to stop and a pursuit began.
Deputies pursued the vehicle for approximately 5 miles when the vehicle crashed into a pole at East Pettigrew Street and Grant Street.
Both suspects attempted to flee the vehicle on foot but were apprehended by deputies after a brief foot chase.
No one was injured.
Authorities say the vehicle was determined to be stolen.
Both suspects were taken into custody.
The driver, identified as 20-year-old James D’Shawn Bass, has been charged with possession of a stolen motor vehicle and felony flee to elude arrest. Bass also has multiple outstanding warrants.
The passenger was identified as 24-year-old Joshua Shepard and is facing charges for a previous outstanding warrant for possession of a stolen vehicle.
- Hundreds show up hours early at Johnston County COVID-19 vaccine clinic
- ‘Don’t be alarmed’: NC police department tests new blue light policy for patrol vehicles
- Far-right groups becoming more localized in North Carolina
- South Carolina woman charged with murdering husband released from jail on bond
- Widow of congressman-elect who died of COVID-19 complications can run for his seat