HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) – A portion of the Buckroe Fishing Pier collapsed Sunday morning after a loose barge struck the pier, officials say.
Hampton Fire officials along with Hampton Police, the U.S. Coast Guard, and Virginia Marine Resources Commission responded to the scene Sunday morning.
According to Hampton dispatch, calls for a “loose barge” came around 5:40 a.m. Sunday, however, they did not receive calls about it running into the pier until 9 a.m.
The beach has been closed from Resort to Seaboard to all traffic including vehicular and foot. Crews are on the scene attempting to secure the loose barge.
According to Hampton police, no injuries were reported during the incident. Although there people were on the pier, police say they were evacuated as the barge got closer.
The owner of the loose barge is reportedly on the scene as well and cooperating with authorities.
Officials are advising residents to avoid the area until further notice.
(Video Courtesy – Karen Freddy Bonilla)
- Wake County Schools moves forward with re-opening plan
- Kansas GOP congressman charged with 3 felonies, including voter fraud
- Woman in Wendy’s is killed when drunk driver plows into restaurant, police say
- White House touts infrastructure agenda ahead of Trump’s trip to Georgia
- Ford unveils new Bronco, says website overwhelmed by ‘stampede of reservations’
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now