HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) – A portion of the Buckroe Fishing Pier collapsed Sunday morning after a loose barge struck the pier, officials say.
Hampton Fire officials along with Hampton Police, the U.S. Coast Guard, and Virginia Marine Resources Commission responded to the scene Sunday morning.
According to Hampton dispatch, calls for a “loose barge” came around 5:40 a.m. Sunday, however, they did not receive calls about it running into the pier until 9 a.m.
The beach has been closed from Resort to Seaboard to all traffic including vehicular and foot. Crews are on the scene attempting to secure the loose barge.
According to Hampton police, no injuries were reported during the incident. Although there people were on the pier, police say they were evacuated as the barge got closer.
The owner of the loose barge is reportedly on the scene as well and cooperating with authorities.
Officials are advising residents to avoid the area until further notice.
(Video Courtesy – Karen Freddy Bonilla)
- Congress looks to halt plan cutting 40+ minor league teams from MLB
- NC high school football teams getting set for weekend’s state championships
- VIDEO: Crash leaves car propped upside down on wire
- Wake Tech program helps foster young adults through college process
- Fire, explosion blows out 50-foot section of wall at Tarboro business
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now