(CNN Newsource/CBS News) – Police have released video showing the rescue of an 8-year-old Fort Worth, Texas girl who was kidnapped in broad daylight.
The man who kidnapped the child, 51-year-old Michael Webb was sentenced to life in federal prison last week.
According to evidence presented at trial, Webb grabbed the little girl as she and her mother were walking down a neighborhood street.
Webb admitted to authorities that he fought off the girl’s mother and drove the child to a hotel room where he held her captive.
A family friend spotted Webb’s ford sedan and called 911.
The video shows the tense moments heavily armed officers rammed the door, and Webb eventually came out naked.
“We got her, we got her!” officers announced on their radios. “He’s in custody; we have her.”
Following a two-day trial in September, a federal jury in Fort Worth deliberated for less than 10 minutes before convicting Webb, 51, of kidnapping the girl.
“My hope is that this family and this community will find solace in knowing that he will never be able to harm another little child again,” said US attorney Nealy Cox.
- Vigil held in Durham for slain Texas soldier Vanessa Guillen
- Man charged in shooting that killed boy at Alabama mall
- Teen dirt-bike rider killed at NC interstate off-ramp
- 19 taken to hospitals after tree falls on garage during child’s birthday party
- NC group angered by removal of statues displays giant Confederate flag along I-40
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now