SRI LANKA (CNN) — An elephant trampled and injured at least 17 people at a festival in Sri Lanka Saturday.
The incident occurred at a 119-year-old procession honoring the sacred Relic of the tooth of Buddha. According to CNN, one of the elephants was spooked during the procession, which startled another.
Seventeen people were taken to the hospital with unspecified injuries.
The parade continued after the incident.
- Fayetteville police looking for man wanted in armed robbery at CVS
- CBS 17 Job Alert – CarMax is hiring in Raleigh, Fayetteville
- Lawsuit: NC police tore woman’s shoulder during traffic stop
- At ‘moment of peril,’ Biden opens global summit on climate
- Turtle crashes through windshield, hits 71-year-old in head; both OK
For more stories like this that matter to you, click here to download the CBS 17 News app for free.
Watch live newscasts, get breaking news and sign up for push alerts – download now